Friday, December 11, 2009

A question for Pete Townshend...


re: Who Are You?
I took the tube back out of town
Back to the Rollin' Pin
I felt a little like a dying clown
With a streak of Rin Tin Tin

So, how exactly does that feel?
Straight off the bat, I’ve got to think that a dying clown would have some profound regrets about his or her career choice. (A clown, for god’s sake…one chance at life and this is what I came up with…). Overlay that with the bitter irony of an entertainer dying alone, on the tube, heart like a broken cup, greasepaint smeared, big floppy shoes stained with God knows what. All I ever wanted was to make the children laugh…
But, HEY! Wait a minute…what’s this feeling??? It’s a twinge of something…something different. Can’t be sure but…woof! WOOF! Whoa. Hey! I feel like…like…like a Teutonic Hero Dog! YES! "Achtung! Fellow riders of the London mass transit…It’s me, Rin Tin Tin! To the rescue!!... What’s with the drunk clown over there?"
I guess, Pete, maybe what you’re really saying is, you were feeling a little conflicted. I understand completely.



Got a question for a classic rocker? Ask the rockmocker.
And don’t forget to sign up for the handy email feed.

 Who Are You? From The Kids Are Alright (’78)
“Dying clown” line at 1:44
“F-bomb” dropped at 2:04
Silly handclapping at 4:33
Keith Moon being a goofball throughout. His last studio performance. Damn.
 


4 comments:

  1. Ok. This Pete Townsend one actually made me cry I was laughing so hard! You are the best Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ixnay on the Atpay stuff, Anisa. The rockmocker must remain anonymous. Keep on rockin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops sorry. Delete the comment if you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kidding. My cover was blown last week by KC Free Press...

    ReplyDelete