Friday, March 12, 2010

A reader question for Electric Light Orchestra….

Reader Becky D. has long been perplexed by the ELO song, Do Ya, which begins:

In this life I've seen everything I can see, woman,
I've seen lovers flying through the air hand in hand.
I've seen babies dancing in the midnight sun,
And I've seen dreams that came from the heavenly skies above.
I've seen old men crying at their own gravesides
And I've seen pigs all sitting watching picture slides,
But I never seen nothing like you.

Do ya do ya want my love?
Do ya do ya want my face?
Do ya do ya want my mind?
Do ya do ya want my love?

Becky D.'s question: If the woman (you're singing to) is so much stranger than all those things, would she really ever want your love?  Might not her tastes run toward the more eccentric?

Excellent question, Becky! But, I can't help wondering just the opposite. Jeff Lynne has clearly seen a lot of things. I wonder if by that point in his life, he had had enough of the flying lovers and dancing babies and porcine photography enthusiasts. Perhaps he’s so keen for this woman to want his love, face, and mind precisely because she is more prosaic than all these things he’s seen. It’s like being relieved when your vacation is over so you can go back to working all day and eating pasta over your own kitchen sink. Sure rampant hallucinations are fun, but they’re also exhausting.


Full lyrics to Do Ya here.

Do ya have a question of your own? Send it in and we’ll pass it along to the hairy Monsters of Rock. Hey, here come some now…

Electric Light Orchestra, Do Ya, 1976.
Click it. I think you'll find that you DO want Jeff Lynne's face.

1 comment:

  1. Rockmocker,

    I believe you're close, but I think it's more reality than routine that Mr. Lynne seeks. Not to go off all half-therapist on ya, but I think he is really questioning who he really is...and whether or not the real Jeff is worthy of the love of a non-groupie.

    On stage he is more of a character than a person, and once off stage, he lives in a world of hard drugs and easy women...women who love the character, not the man. He has had what addicts call a moment of clarity. He sees that his appetite for fame, sex, and hallucinogens can never be sated.

    I fear however, that his wish for a normal woman and a normal life are impossible at this point. He needs to slowly wean himself off fame before he can have this woman. I think that's why he joined the Traveling Wilburys. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete